Sunday, November 2, 2008

Welcome to A Cut Above - Woodworking

This is my latest blog project to discuss, share ideas, and talk about woodworking. I have had woodworking as a hobby for the last 15 years. It all started when a very good friend of mine gave me a wedding present. His present was to teach me how to make a oak coffee table.

After the honeymoon and getting settled into our new life together we began to build our first piece of furniture. We used a Shopsmith for all our work and after a couple of days up in the shop we had a very solid, beautiful, new coffee table.

This was the first time that I had really been able to make anything significant out of wood. I had a single semester in wood class back in Jr. High School where I made a little note dispenser, but this was the first really usable piece.

Since then I have made multiple pieces of furniture, and a very wide range of other items that I have given away as gifts. I am currently very involved in a form of wood art called Intarsia, I am sure that I will write about this profusely in the future. I also have been doing a number of other scroll saw projects lately including Christmas ornaments, and other decorative items.

I hope that you will join me as I move forward no my woodworking journey and capture my lessons learned and ideas here on the blog. If you see something you like, let me know and I can get you more information about the project.

Now lets go make some sawdust!

No comments: